Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How to Insult a Frenchman


Start with a different goal in mind. In this case, I needed a ticket I bought online but forgot to print from my laptop. Not entirely sure what kind of shop I should go to, I tramped around the area around the Paris Bourse (stock exchange) before going into what appeared to be some kind of electronics store. There I was told to go to a place they called "o-FEES di PO". Since I was near the Blvd des Italiens, my jet-lag addled brain assumed this was some kind of reference to the Valley of the Po River in Italy (yes, I actually thought this).
            Unable to locate this place, I went into another shop to ask directions. I didn't pay much attention to what kind of business it was--there seemed a lot of paper and office supplies. Inside, a well-dressed younger man was chatting with a somewhat tired-looking older gentleman behind the counter. Using a combination of broken French and English and gesticulations, I asked where I might find the "o-FEES". This provoked a spat of angry French from the monsieur behind the counter--something about "Americans" and "Francais", and although I didn't hear the exact word "idiot", his tone definitely implied it. Amused, the dude turned to me an explained (in good English) that the "di PO" was a strong competitor for his friend's business, and that he was "very shocked" that I would come in and ask for directions there.
            I explained that I was directed there by others--French others, in fact--and that I didn't care where I needed to go, as long as I could get my document printed. Could he help me? Alas, he could not--with an expression suggesting a sympathizer with the French resistance fobbing off a German officer during the Occupation, the owner regretted that his computer was "broken".
            This treatment, I thought, might explain why he was having so much trouble competing with the other store--but of course I said no such thing. Instead, I offered apologies and gratefully accepted the younger dude's directions. Meanwhile, the shop-keep went on and on about "colonizers" and (I think) learning French before I came to France to insult people. The dude, deeply amused, winked and said "I will take care of him."
            I did manage to find "o-FEES di Po". Alas, it had nothing to do with the Valley of the Po, but was an ordinary outlet of Office Depot, albeit one of those shrunken versions of a US big box store found in Paris. Chagrined, I waited for the my tickets to print and contemplated the magnificence of my comprehensive faux pas. Simultaneously, I had managed to insult the man's business, to active the resentment of every Mom and Pop small business-owner against their out-of-town corporate competition, and to play my part as the arrogant, ignorant American abroad.
            I wondered if I could buy a small, travel-sized printer for my computer. Maybe they sold them at the "di Po"?

© 2012 Nicholas Nicastro

No comments:

Post a Comment